Time Travelling is possible. You can be transported to a different world through your mind as well as your screens. ISN’T IT?
When you shut them off, be it your mind or your device , it takes seconds to come back to the earth- the real world.
On a serious note, ofcourse, mindfulness has taken a back seat in the present era as distractions are innumerable. I read in a book that our ‘ Will Power ‘ is a finite source and gets consumed big time when we try to bring back the attention to what we are actually doing.
Mindless scrolling during work hours ,evening time, night time, morning time is impacting our efficiency and productivity. In a survey ,it was found that biggest distraction during work hours is not sleep, food or sex, but the constant need to check social media ,watch a movie, surf the net and listen to music . So, how can we help ourselves from falling into fathomless pit of the web and not while away the precious time?
1) Be aware of what you are doing. Knowing that your actions and habits are flawed is the first step towards changing them.
2) Locking away your mobile phone will not help. Rather understand and implement the power of daily routine and rituals.
a) Set time limit for yourself according to the task and don’t use mobile unless the work is complete.
b) Keep your cellphone on mute. It will aid a lot to pacify the urge to check your phone time and again.
c) Give yourself 10 minutes break to surf the web and check notififications after every 3 hrs.
3) Look at the longer vision always and remember why you started this all at the first place( to be productive) to keep your self motivated.
4) Whenever there is a craving for gb ( giga bytes) consumption, give your brain some other task that can help you in some other way. For instance, go and take a small walk, read the budget, complete some pending task, ask a long lost colleague how he is doing. You will be satisfied and at the same time surprised about how much one can do in small chunks.
5) When you just need a break, just close your eyes and relax. But stay away from electronic gadgets. ( It’s difficult. But, you should do it, you know it’s the right thing.)
6) While doing useful work on these electronic devices, be mindful of not getting distracted by some not so relevant apps and notifications.
7) If messages are not urgent, try replying to most of them at a common time and not when the phone beeps.
We feel 24 hours in a day are less and now we know it’s not true. Our habits can even make 13 months in a year. Try sleeping at the right time and getting up at 5 not 7 in the morning and you will get 1 month bonus.
Virtual world is not real. Realworld is real.
So, stop the ‘Time Travel’. Be mindful of the present. Begin the ‘Deep Work’.
Thank you for visiting the page ! Have a good day 🙂